Level 3, 15 Credits.
Students will apply knowledge of circuit protection, electrical drawing conventions, switching circuits and lighting.
On successful completion of this course the student will be able to:
- Explain the principles and operation of circuit protection components and systems (3 credits)
- Select and install circuit protection components in accordance with current legislation (3 credits).
- Apply industry symbols and conventions to produce a variety of electrical drawings. (3 credits).
- Design and construct power switching circuits (3 credits).
- Outline the operating principles, design and installation requirements of a variety of lighting systems (3 credits)
Include but not limited to:
- Construction, operation, ratings and applications of common circuit protection devices.
- RCD classifications, ratings and applications.
- Installation of fuse element replacements.
- Selection and installation of common circuit protection devices.
- Protection in hazardous areas.
- Electrical drawing conventions and symbols
- Power switching circuits
- Lighting systems
Note: This course has a pre-requisite of ENCE3001 which
includes electrical safety because in this course students may be working on
live electrical equipment.